1.08.2014

Nine Years Ago

January 8th just isn't the day after Paul's birthday, it is our wedding anniversary. Clever of me to stack them like that, I mean he shouldn't have any trouble remembering it when we had birthday cake at our rehearsal dinner.  

It has been 9 years of wedded bliss .. no, seriously it has been. We have the same core values, so fundamental when you're trying to make it for the long haul balancing jobs, bills, kids, and the like.

It really is amazing to me that he didn't run like the wind.  I was late to our first date, my car was in the shop and I was driving another guy's truck and on our third date I announced that I intended to marry again and have kids.  I followed that up with "if you aren't interested in all that, we should move on."  

Even after spending an entire day with a large majority of the Holliday family in a Suburban while we traveled to and from a cross country meet, he stayed. I should add that we were all singing along to the country music on the radio the entire trip.  See, I told you he's a keeper.

Paul & Heather - Hartford Reservoir - 2002
We had a small little ceremony and reception all in one room surrounded by our closest family and friends.  Storm was our Best Man, to us it was the PERFECT day and we were officially a family.  I remember that day nine years ago with surprising clarity.  I remember the door to the room filled with wedding guests opening and a sort of quiet gasp of unexpectedness ripple through the room ... I mean seriously my hairdresser and my makeup artist [my sister] were miracle workers. I remember standing in our little receiving line and my friend, Dale, taking me by the hands, by the elbows really, and saying "You look radiant" ... the photographer even caught that exchange and to this day its one of my favorite memories of that day.... like hear her voice in my head when I look at that picture kind of memory. 


We honeymooned in Boston in January, shamelessly taking "selfies" while we skated in The Common and getting an almost private tour of Fenway Park. (you'd be surprised how quiet that place is when it is covered in snow)



We've been through a lot since that trip  ... we welcomed two of the most beautiful little girls into our world.

Brooke Tetlow - 2006


Kristen Dominika - 2009

We've endured love, loss, becoming parents, losing a parent, building a house, demolishing a house and we've never, ever once hit a point so low that we've thought about walking away.  I will tell you unequivocally, Paul has my back, our family's back. 

I know there were people who questioned our relationship and our decision to marry. I know that there were a few people sitting in that room that wondered how long it would last "this time" and, frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if there were bets made around that very topic.   Paul and I had been married before and those past relationships crumbled before year five.  I think if we were honest, we would both say that we were uneasy at times about that milestone.  Clearly we got there and we celebrated it, acknowledged out loud that this time it really was different.  

We're the real deal. I'm supposed to be with Paul. Paul is supposed to be with me. 

So .. IF there was a pool, I think its time to hand over the money ... I mean we're planning our 10 year anniversary trip to Hawaii for 2015 and that would probably cover a lovely catamaran dinner cruise.

No comments: