4.13.2015

Sometimes All You Have is Your Voice

The City of Norwich is proposing a 1% increase to the education budget. It is unrealistic and impractical to think that there will not be dire consequences. I value the education my kids and every other child is offered and I'm angry that it is being threatened. 

So many of you know that I am a Do'er, someone who is not afraid to lead, not afraid to take on work and that I am advocate for the educators that I have been so lucky to get to know this past year. Another one of the many blessings I have come to recognize after losing my job last April. 

There was a hearing tonight where the public would have the opportunity to speak, last week I got a text asking if I would. I declined with complete transparency "I'm terrified to speak in that setting" ... sincere words of encouragement followed. As the week went on, more encouragement and the guarantee my speaking out couldn't make anything worse. 

I went tonight and proudly sat in that gallery with a handful of parents, teachers and administrators and shared the following words. 

As a resident of Norwich and parent of 2 daughters attending Norwich Public Schools, I am deeply troubled by the proposed 1% increase to the education budget.

Given the demands of the Common Core Curriculum, changes to technology based standardized testing and the considerable diversity in the student population our teachers and staff are working extremely hard to give our students the best possible experience. By all accounts, there is visible success; failing to fund the budget at requested levels puts that success in jeopardy.

It is unfortunate that Norwich Public Schools is held hostage to the tuition increases at NFA. We cannot sacrifice PreK – 8 to cover the rising costs of 9-12.  

The funding of public education in Norwich is not just an issue for residents with school age children; the quality of our schools is what makes people want to move to our city and promotes growth and development.

Today there are many options in education – regional magnet schools, charter schools, private or parochial schools … My husband and I carefully considered our choices and chose Norwich Public Schools – it is time for you, our elected officials, to choose Norwich Public Schools too. 

Sometimes all you have is a voice and sometimes that is all you need. I only hope that I was heard.

No comments: