2.07.2017

You Better Watch Out


If you've spent any time around me the last year or so, you already know that I'm very active and involved in Norwich Public Schools.  I did some consulting there for a few months in between jobs. My mom was a teacher. I thought about being a teacher when I was in college, that was until I substituted in first grade for the 3 days before Christmas break. No thanks, I'll go right back to the Computer Science Department, where I belong!

Since May 2016, I've attended every public Board of Education meeting .. more meetings than one of the actual board members. I've attended several of the city sponsored School Facilities Review Committee meetings. I've addressed both boards/committees during their public comment sections. 

When I go to the BOE meetings, I sit in the front row ... usually alone. I have my notebook and pen and follow along with the agenda with painstaking care. I'm trying very hard to be informed, aware, and in the know. I want very much to have my facts straight so that when I do speak I have some degree of credibility. 

I have no formal training in education. My bachelor degree is in Computer and Information Sciences with a minor in Business Economics. I have a Master of Business Administration with a concentration in Management Information Systems. I spent almost 20 years in the corporate world before making the jump to Higher Education. I'm fortunate to work at a college that has a Human Development program. I'm even more fortunate to have strong relationships with some of the esteemed faculty in that department. They are the people who point me to resources when I need facts, who honestly and patiently listen to my ideas and weigh in, they remind not to focus on one side of the argument. I am fortunate to have have these trusted advisors. 

When I went to that first BOE meeting in May 2016 and took a seat at the table during public comment, I never in a million years would have thought it was setting me on the course that I find myself on now. Speaking at meetings, introducing myself to random parents at informational sessions, handing out my business cards and getting random texts asking me to speak at other meetings. 

Earlier today, I told a really dear friend that she had created a monster. This advocate that I have become was all born out of some really insightful discussion in our comfy clothes over a cup of coffee at my kitchen peninsula. 

Last week, I attended an informational session about our Norwich Public Schools. I was encouraged to see a fair amount of people in attendance. I was excited that other people, besides me, wanted a turn at the microphone. One mother said ... "the people who can advocate for our kids, they are the ones that are moving their kids to other schools. Pretty soon, there won't be any one left to advocate for the people who can't do it for themselves"

At that moment I whispered out loud "she gets it"  .... we aren't all public speakers, we don't all speak fluent English, we can't all attend meetings at 5:30pm on Tuesdays, we aren't all moved to run for an office. 

Some of us might be ... Some of us might just be "someone to watch"

No comments: