5.23.2016

Happy Trails

Bright and early Saturday morning, my parents climbed into their RV and headed out for their next adventure. They'll return to Connecticut sometime in mid-September, yes, you read that correctly SEPTEMBER! They are taking the next 4 weeks to make their way across the US, they need to be in Washington State by June 20. 

There they will join a caravan of RVs and on June 22 they all head out on a 62 Day - Alaska Your Way tour. Sometimes they will be in camping resorts with lots of amenities and I think at least one night they stay in a park without ANY hookups. Don't worry about them though ... this is their home for this adventure. It has a sleep number bed, high end convection oven, a washer, dryer and 3 flat screen TVs. It has a generator and everything else you might need. They'll really be just fine.
Home Sweet Home
My parents have been living the dream since their retirements in 2010. They spend the winter in Florida and most of the summer camped along the Cape Cod Canal until this year when they will make this cross-country, international journey. 

Computers, free WiFi and Facetime make the separation a little bit easier to manage. I think the hardest part for me will be these 4 weeks it takes to get to WA -- there is no real agenda, they have an approximate route, but nothing set in stone. They only had reservations the first 2 nights. They wanted to be able to chart the course as they drove .. um that is not really the way my dad operates so this could be interesting. 

I miss them so much when they are away but I am so grateful that they are getting this time together. I honestly didn't realize until it happened how much their retirement would change my life. It isn't better, it isn't worse .. it is just different. 

As long as I can remember, my dad has talked about traveling the US in a motorhome and going to state parks and national monuments when he retired. How many people get to dream that big and then live out those dreams. I am fairly certain that it doesn't happen to too many. For them it didn't happen accidentally, it was the result of a lot of hard work, planning and sacrifice along the way.... I am so happy that the people who worked so hard to provide what I needed, when I needed it are out on the open road. 

Life is too short to not lean over and grab that brass ring. 

You can follow the journey on their Facebook Page, Doing Alaska Our Way

No comments: