8.29.2016

Back to School Night




Tonight was the Back to School BBQ at Moriarty Magnet School. As president of the PTO, I speak and try to get more people helping our cause. I also take time to acknowledge our faculty and staff. I genuinely believe that the staff at Moriarty are some of the FINEST in the business and I thank my lucky stars EVERY day that this is where Brooke and Kristen spend their days. I was a little overwhelmed by the turnout .... I have to tell you that cafeteria WAS PACKED ... for a second it took my breath away. 

I was making the rounds visiting classrooms and referred to my "speech" it was only then I realized most of the people I was praising were in their classrooms, anxiously awaiting their new students. So here it is ... I hope every Moriarty Environmental Sciences Magnet School teacher reads this and has some small idea of how much their work is valued. 

Good Evening - It is so exciting to see so many of you here tonight! I’m Heather Romanski, PTO President and mom to a 2nd and 5th grader here at Moriarty Environmental Sciences Magnet School or should I say “the Nationally Recognized Moriarty Environmental Sciences Magnet School”  I don’t know about you, but I am so proud of the hard work and dedication of our faculty and staff that went into winning that award in May 2016.  Please join me in a round of applause for these AMAZING people!

If you are new to Moriarty, you are in for quite a treat. Our children spend their days with some of the finest educators I’ve had the privilege to work with. We are so fortunate that our staff is full of smart, caring, innovative and resourceful teachers. Our faculty and staff has one of the MOST important jobs there is, they are training our future scientists, engineers, computer programmers and environmental activists. One day a Moriarty Alum might be the superintendent of a school district, a senator, or an olympic athlete. Did you know that a student who studied at Moriarty just competed in the Summer Olympics in Rio?  

Research shows that students perform better when their families are engaged. This year, I’m challenging you to volunteer one more time than you did last year. Just one more time. To attend ONE more event than you did last year. I’m asking you to be an active partner in our Moriarty Family, because that's what we are here - a family. We’re looking for help across the board … cutting up boxtops, helping in our gardens, helping our students compost, or helping to staff our book fair. Maybe you have an amazing idea to engage and excite our community...please share it! We’d love to have you stop in at a PTO meeting, but if that isn’t your thing - we’ll find a way for you to share your talents or your time.

Thanks so much - hope to see you soon!

No comments: