11.04.2018

A Tale of Two Churches

#4 - I am thankful that our family has two churches

Many of you know that Paul is Catholic and the girls and I attend a Protestant church. Paul and I talked about this at a really high level before we got married, it was never an issue for us. It still isn't. When Sunday School is in session at First Congregational Church, the girls come with me. Sometimes in the Summer, they go to Mass with Paul. On Christmas Eve, we go to church twice - 4:00 pm Mass and then Candlelight service. I'll mention that there have been years that I have taken them to Christmas Eve Mass without Paul because he is still out in the big brown sleigh. On Easter, Paul comes with us. Today, there was a mass in remembrance of the 1 year anniversary of the passing of someone who was very important to Paul at 7:30am, so off we went. 

We make it work. 

In a way, I think this exposure to different churches is actually good for them. They know that when they are at their church -- they say sins in the Lord's Prayer and when they are in a Catholic Church they say "trespasses" ... they go to Mass enough to have almost figured out when they need to stand and when they need to kneel....we've all been to weddings or funerals when it is easy to pick out the people who don't regularly attend or have never been exposed to a service other than theirs. 

The fact that Paul and I get up, every week, and attend a formal service is an outward example of our faith and has made an impression on our kids. Every Sunday, they get up and ready themselves for Church. One is in a dress and pretty shoes and one is usually in jeans, a t-shirt and sneakers .. but there is never an argument about having to go. They grab their bibles and money for the collection and head out. 

I'm so proud of their commitment to their faith at an early age. It will serve them well. 

#4 - I am thankful that our family has two churches

No comments: