1.23.2014

Running for Meg

About ten months ago, I started running again after some 12 years off. I had been contemplating trying to run again and then the bombs went off at the Boston Marathon in April.  That was the final straw and I was out on the roads, walking some, running some. 

Since then I've finished a handful of 5K races, logged hundreds of training miles, and I'm a Brand Ambassador for an awesome line of women's running apparel ... go figure. 

Just over a week ago, a post on my Facebook newsfeed caught my attention.  It was the story about a 33 year old Virginia mother of three.  She was hit and killed while out for her morning run sometime between 8 and 8:30 that morning.  The kicker, she was hit by a DRUNK driver .... before 8:30 in the MORNING. 

I echo the sentiment of so many others "I am not sure why this has affected me so much."  I'm not a stay at home mom, I'm not the mother of 3, I'm not married to a police officer, who by all accounts, has dedicated his career to cracking down on drunk driving. 

She will never have another moment with her 3 beautiful children or her husband. She'll never compete in another Boston Marathon, she'll never get to hit the road on a cool January morning and go for a "quick run"

Truth be told, I think I do know why I was so affected ... it is because there is that little nagging voice in the back of my head, whispering in my ear ... that could have been you.  You can wear your hot pink running skort, run against traffic, even skip the earbuds and the music .. but it could still be you. 

Social Media makes spreading the word so easy today and a movement to honor Meg started ... Meg's Miles or Meg Smiles, however you choose to read it, was born. People were challenged to run for Meg. 

This Saturday, January 18, 2014, no matter what your distance, no matter where you live, run for Meg. Take in the fresh air, be aware of your surroundings, keep your headphones on low, feel the heaviness in your lungs, the soreness in your legs, and be grateful for it--for all of it. The sweat, the pain, the wind, the cold…everything. Be grateful for that moment.

The last time I ran outside was November 30, the Winterfest 5K. I've been tolerating the "dreadmill" but I really love to run outside, on the open road. So Saturday, January 18, I laced up my sneakers, added another long sleeved layer and a headband that covered my ears.  I did take my music but played it much quieter than normal. It was overcast, cold and there was a mix of sleet and snow softly falling.  In the beginning, I stiffened every time I heard a car approaching. The longer I ran, the less I noticed, as always when I run outside, my mind relaxes and the tension fades.  

I thought about an amazingly strong, athletic woman who seemed to have it all and was doing everything right, who 5 days before I had never even heard of. 

I thought about her husband trying to explain it to their kids, when he can't even really understand it himself.

I thought about my girls and their excitement and enthusiasm.  Their pride when I come back from the gym or in from a run. 

I thought about Paul and how falling in love with him has made me a better person, better partner. 

I thought about how quickly things can change and how important it is to be present in your life, EVERY day. 

I thought about how this one woman has mobilized a global community of runners, of people, to action. 

I was grateful for the moment. 

On Saturday, January 18, 2014, over 90,000 people logged some miles for Meg.   

The memorial to Meg Cross Menzies at the scene of the accident that took her life 
Photo credit: Loren Rosado

No comments: