11.06.2013

Second Chances

# 6 - I am thankful for second chances



Paul and I met in 2002.  I was newly divorced and he was still in the process of finalizing his.  Two people in their 30's, emotionally beaten, battered and worn out. We met at a mutual friend's 40th birthday party.  Some friends were skeptical, some protective, others convinced we were a good fit.  It took a LONG time from that first introduction for him to call and ask me out .. like over a month .. he's so lucky that I waited.  

I had learned much from my previous experiences and knew what I wanted going forward -- marriage, kids, a partnership.  I told him this on our 2nd or 3rd date and that if he didn't have the same plan, we shouldn't waste each other's time.  It still amazes me that it didn't end that night .. I mean we had been out maybe THREE times. 

Here we are all these years later - we've built a marriage, a family and a freaking house ... all have a very strong and solid foundation.  I think part of the strength comes from always owning what came before .. not forgetting.  Don't get me wrong - we don't dwell on it but we let the past remind us of how lucky we are in the present.

# 6 - I am thankful for second chances

No comments: