11.17.2015

At Least I've Still Got My Health

#14 - I am thankful that I am healthy ...

On Saturday we are going to a funeral for a friend, he was 55. That is too young, too soon for him to be gone from this world. In January, friends found out that their son, not quite 2, had Leukemia and they fight on. We have other friends who suffer from chronic pain or significant health challenges.

We have another acquaintance who is suffering from unexplained blackouts and is now not able to work. His family is not only faced with the scary prospect of finding the source of the problem but now they are dealing with a loss of income. 

I read somewhere that the average american is just 1 medical crisis away from bankruptcy. After being out of work for a while and collecting unemployment, I really began to understand how true that statement is. 

I can feel myself starting to age .. I'm slower than I was, I'm heavier than I was, it takes me longer to recover when I burn the candle at both ends ... my feet hurt, my legs and back ache ... but if I go to bed a little earlier and wear "sensible" shoes those things fade some. 

We are so lucky, so fortunate, so blessed that we are healthy; that our kids are healthy. All too often we take that for granted ..... 

No comments: