11.14.2016

Girls Night Out

Day 12 - I am thankful for "the wives"


When Paul and I started dating, I quickly learned that he came with a posse. He has a core group of friends, they are his "people" 

These guys came with women, and not going to lie, they were a little intimidating to me in the beginning. They were good cooks, excellent hostesses,  experienced gardeners, and great mothers. I enjoyed spending time with these girls but I could count on one hand the times we were together without our men. 

Then, four years ago, one of the guys died, suddenly and shockingly. As a group, we were devastated. I was so angered by the circumstances of his death and so heartbroken for his wife. We rallied around our grieving friend and promised to each other that we'd be there for her. 

It was around then that I realized these women, these girls, the wives were more than just "wives" ... we were friends

So for the last four years, every 4-6 weeks, we meet somewhere for dinner. Sometimes it is casual, sometimes a little more upscale. It always includes wine and dessert (at least for me!) 

Recently, I was having a discussion with someone about being the "odd man out" and not really understanding how it happened. "You're at a different stage in your life. You have younger kids and you're doing different stuff" they told me. 

Sounded reasonable until I was planning the November dinner outing with "my girls", the girls who are all 60+ ... 

We met last week, the food wasn't one of our best picks .. but the wine was good and the company was, as usual, some of the best. 

It doesn't seem to matter that one is retired, one runs her own business and works part time, and 2 of us still work full time. We seem to be able to fill the night with conversation and laughter about husbands, children, and grandkids. 

My happiness is important to them, they support my business and our charitable causes. When I lost my job - they were right there ... consoling, encouraging and cheering. 

I am so grateful for their kindness, wisdom, perspective and that they love food as much as me!

Day 12 - I am thankful for "the wives"

No comments: