11.01.2012

Thirty Days of Thanks ....

I've seen a few friends posting on Facebook today something they are thankful for.  They numbered it "1" like they are going to have a new one each day.  I haven't quite figured out if they are doing it for the month or just until Thanksgiving arrives but I thought "what a neat idea" ... seriously that was my exact wording .. what can I tell you I have a 3 and 6 year old and, yes, sometimes I think at their level.

So I've sort of challenged myself to post my "Thankful for ..." here on Romanskiville each day.  I am also going to say right now that I will not even come close to posting each and every day.  Paul's long days have started and we are days away from moving into Rev 2.  I will try very hard to come as close to 100% as possible ... there you can all be "thankful" for that.

#1 - I am thankful for the marvels of modern medicine (I know that sounds all peace and love and lets change the world, really its not that noble at all)


Kristen had a problem with her eyes, they at times would turn outwards and not work together.  Sometimes people call this "lazy eye".  We started with the pediatrician who quickly referred us to a pediatric ophthalmologist. We met Dr. Howard in February.  She did some tests and we would come see her again in 3 months.  In April, it was happening more frequently.  Back to the Dr who confirmed her condition was progressing and alternating day patching began.  She was a trooper most days.


Three hours a day for 3 months, we rarely missed a day and back to the Dr for another check up.  No change in test results, the patching had really made no difference and what would happen when we stopped using patches all together?  Dr. Howard suggested corrective surgery.  Paul and I had already discussed that surgery was probably our next step but I will tell that when the Doctor says that the risks include - infection and permanent blindness - you glance over at that adorable little blonde haired, blued eyed princess and she seems even smaller and more fragile than ever.  The Dr quickly adds that she has never had a patient go blind ... GOOD to know.  We sign the papers, schedule the surgery, head to Yale New Haven Children's Hospital for a pre-op visit and do all the other things on the list.  

We headed for New Haven a little after 6 am on that day. I'd be lying if I said I was completely at ease with this all and then I turned around to check her in the backseat and that one eye was drifting out, yep, this was a very necessary surgery. 


Yale New Haven Children's Hospital is an amazing place.  Clearly they are in the business of caring for kids and they are amazingly good at it.  She was the star of the show that day.  Wowing all the staff with her smile and personality oh and she was seriously rocking the hospital PJs


She was pre-medicated and the Anesthesiologist carried her out the door to the OR.  We grabbed a quick breakfast and returned to the floor to wait.  Almost 90 mins after she was wisked away, the Dr appeared and said everything went as expected.  We reviewed instructions for the next few days and she told us they would be out in a few minutes to take us to her.  They take great care at this hospital to NOT wake them from anesthesia.  When they get to recovery they are sleeping and you are firmly but kindly reminded that you need to resist the urge to touch and let them be.   No matter how many episodes of ER you've watched or how many Ambulance runs you've been on .. some when you have been completely in charge of a patient's care, you are not prepared for this ....


She looked so small and so still.  Then there was the blood ... running out of her eyes mixed with her tears.  YIKES ... I had not gotten that far in the thought process.  They cut the muscles that are attached to her EYES, of course, there is blood.  After another hour or so, she woke up, ate 2 popsicles and all her IVs and wires were disconnected and we were on the way home.


That first day she was in pain and repeatedly wanted to rub and scratch her eyes (they were both operated on) but the next day she wanted her favorite purple dress and was asking for fruit snacks.  Her eyes were still filled with pooled blood, which I would later come to understand would take 2-3 weeks to subside, but she was literally jumping on the couch.  


A week later, she was back at daycare enjoying her regular routine.  There was that morning she climbed into bed with Paul and I asking for cartoons. We obliged, turned on the TV to her favorite channel to which she announced "I can't see!" ... I think for about 35 seconds I did not breathe "Mom, I can't see, this pillow is too low!" PHEW ......

Today we went to our 5 week post-op check up.  The Dr is very happy with her recovery and I have not seen either eye drift outward since that day.  We go back in 3 months for another check in, but all signs point to a complete success.  

So it seems only fitting to start my Thirty Days of Thanks with 

#1 - I am thankful for the marvels of modern medicine

No comments: