11.11.2017

Where you stand

Today we said a final good-bye to someone Paul described as "one of my best friends." Even though he was in his 70's his passing was unexpected. I'm so grateful for the friends and family who called and texted to let Paul know they were thinking of him. 

The wake and funeral were well attended and we had "reserved" seats down front. I found myself looking for him as we waited for the service to start. It was so odd to be in that beautiful cathedral and not see him scampering around preparing for whatever occasion was about to take place. 

I've spent the last week a little heart broken - because I am so sad for my husband and our close friends who lost an integral member of their family. 

Paul's friend and I didn't always have the relationship we had at the end. Contentious was probably an understatement. At some point, things changed, he softened and we came to understand that there was a place for both us in Paul's life. I'm pretty sure someone pulled him aside and had a little "come to Jesus" moment with him, regardless, we became friends. 

Paul and I drove to the cemetery ourselves, it was a bit of a ride so we were remembering funny moments and stories the way you do. How he was particular about this and that. 

I smiled and said "you always knew where you stood with him." Paul chuckled and said "that's for sure"

As someone who stood, first on the bad side and then on the good side, there's something to be said for someone who can speak their truth. 

Honestly, I'd pick that person over the person who greets you with a hug and a kiss then lies to your face and stabs you in the back. 

There's something to be said for knowing where you stand.

No comments: