3.04.2022

Just Tell Them

Last month, I attended a meeting with a fairly large audience. One of the speakers shared information that was factual and accurate and expressed what many others in that meeting were probably thinking. Another attendee asked a question of that speaker and it came off snarky? Condescending? After considering it for sometime, I think the person who asked the question was really trying to be supportive of the speaker and it just came out wrong. 

This whole exchange has resurfaced a handful of times since that meeting and every one I talk to completely supports what was said. It occurred to me today that I hadn't told the person who made the statement that there were lots of people who agreed and supported what he said. 

So today, I sent a note that went something like this ...

..... I can't think of 1 conversation with a staff member where that has come up and it has been anything but positive around what you said. So many of us can relate (sort of) to the situation you described.

It occurred to me that maybe I should share with you - the one brave enough or maybe sleep deprived enough - to speak his truth. So here I am, sending you a note --- so you know that there's a decent contingent of people on your side.

Hang in there,



A few hours later I got a response, here's part of it

"I am about to walk into a committee meeting where we do the hardest part of our work - ...... And your email literally brought tears to my eyes."

Please know how appreciative I am of you, this email, and your incredible positivity you bring every day."



I'll be honest, I expected a reply.  What I didn't expect was how something that took just a few minutes for me to write had such a profound impact on someone and how I was moved to send it on a day, at a time where he needed to hear it. 

It didn't cost a cent, but its worth immeasurable. If you're wondering if you should say it, wondering if it matters or makes a difference .... just tell them.




No comments: