3.31.2022

Reflecting

 At the end of January, I became co-moderator of my church. I actually kind of chuckle when I say that because a few months before, I had made a conscious decision to step away from another board that I chaired. I had decided to focus on some things that were important to me personally and to be "around" the house more - minding the store if you will.

Then not 1 but 2 people asked me if I would take this on. At first, I immediately declined, but then I found myself randomly considering it. So, the Reader's Digest version is that I'm co-moderator with another parishioner for the year.

I don't really keep my faith a secret, I am pretty open that I attend church regularly, that I pray, and that I believe in a higher power. In my case, God. My faith and belief in Him have gotten me through some incredibly painful and trying times. However, I swear a little, ok, a lot. I even have a mug that says "I love Jesus, but I cuss a little" 


I sometimes gossip, I am sometimes selfish, and I am sometimes jealous. 

All of those imperfections did make me think that maybe I wasn't the right person for the job. I reflected on this for some time, not really sure I was good enough to be in that position. Then I had a little nudge, maybe those imperfections make me the absolute right person for the job.

One of my responsibilities is to write a letter for our monthly newsletter. I'm sharing my April letter below. If you're observing Lent and even if you aren't, I hope you find the power of reflection.

Dear Friends,

Lent has arrived and Easter is fast approaching. I’m looking forward to seeing the sanctuary filled with lilies, daffodils and tulips. The warmer weather and the longer days bring a smile to my face. I’m delighted that we will be able to host a Sonrise bake sale this year and that we will soon revive our legendary coffee hours.

I’ve been sort of torturing myself trying to figure out what to say in this month's letter - I wanted to quote scripture and speak philosophically about Lent. I even Googled “What is Lent?” Spoiler alert - this is not my superpower. Personally, I rely on my friends - Margo and May - to have the most perfect reference to scripture or words of encouragement when I need it. It is their superpower for sure.

I will tell you what I have been doing during Lent - reflecting. Especially when I am sitting in my pew on a Sunday. While I wait for our service to start - I am reflecting. What have I done that week to serve? Were there moments when I was not my best self? Was I kind? Was I generous when I had an opportunity? Was I grateful? Sometimes that reflection makes me smile - I have been a good and faithful servant. Sometimes that reflection reminds me that God is Good and I get another chance to do better.

I hope that you are finding a meaningful way to mark this time leading to a joyous Easter Sunday.

Keep the Faith, see you in church!

In Service,
Heather Romanski

#WakeUp100 

22/100

No comments: