3.06.2022

She Gave Me Soap

 


I work at a small, private liberal arts college. My area employs students to provide level 1 support. Our coordinator hired excellent kids these last 2 years. They have strong technical skills as well as great customer skills. 

One of our new hires this year is from Greece. She is top-notch. She has picked up the job quickly, she is dependable and really kind to our end users -- many who are not strong with technology. 

She spent Fall Break in NYC and when she came back to work was excited to share her many pictures. When she returned to work after traveling home for Christmas, she immediately asked how my holidays were and genuinely listened to my answer. 

Then she shyly said "I brought you something" 

I was shocked ... literally one other time in 8 years have students given me a gift. 

She reached into her bag and produced this adorable little soap -- it is made from donkey milk and is very popular where she lives. First, she had no idea that I enjoy luxurious soap, but I hardly ever treat myself this way. Secondly, she had no idea that while Paul is busy pining over a goat...I am pining over a mini donkey. I told her that on more than one occasion I have come close to building a little barn and paddock for Eeyore (I know, no points for originality.) 

Without skipping a beat, she says "Back home, I have a farm - I could teach you how to take care of it" 

I laughed, and actually considered it for a few seconds, before I realized that would mean I would have to agree to the goats! 

I love connecting with these kids. 

I love that she thought about me while she was home with her parents who miss her terribly when she is with me. 

I love that she gave me a little donkey soap. 


1 comment:

Judy Dailey said...

A nice story in a very challenging time.